Nisonger Center Dental Services
The Nisonger Dental Services provides a complete range of oral health services to children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and other special needs. People with intellectual and developmental disabilities throughout Ohio are eligible to receive dental services at The Nisonger Center. The Nisonger Center Dental Services has a long-standing relationship with the Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities (FCBDD) to provide ongoing comprehensive oral care to people served through the FCBDD
The Nisonger Center Dental Services is the largest provider of oral health services for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Franklin County. There is a serious lack of oral health resources for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities throughout the state and nationally; there are very few providers and/or limitations in the services provided in the community. People with intellectual developmental disabilities generally have more dental disease and fewer resources to respond to these needs.
The Nisonger Dental Services consists of two comprehensive dental clinics (one located on the Ohio State campus and the other is located on Johnstown Road) that provides a continuum of care and a full complement of dental health services throughout the lifespan. We also provide community outreach through screenings and oral health instruction in the group homes and workshops as well as a dental screening program at the annual Ohio Special Olympics games.
The Nisonger Dental Services provides training for Ohio State students enrolled in dental and dental hygiene programs as well as postgraduate-level dental residents. The Nisonger Dental Services trains students through service to infants, children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, as well as providing technical assistance to community providers, agencies and programs. We are one of the only programs in the country to provide such exposure for all university dental health students as part of their training.
The Nisonger Dental Services consists of two clinics, one on OSU campus in the McCampbell Hall building and a second clinic location in the Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities Early Childhood Education program on Johnstown Road. Both dental clinics are open Monday through Friday with services available by appointment only. A 24-hour emergency service is available for patients of record.
Funding for the Nisonger Center Dental Services is provided through three primary sources:
- Service Contract with Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities
- Training and service grants
- Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities; UCEDD)
- Maternal Child and Health Bureau Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and related Disabilities (LEND)
- People with developmental disabilities throughout Ohio are eligible to receive diagnostic services.
- People with intellectual and developmental disabilities within Franklin County are eligible to receive ongoing services.
- Anyone outside of Franklin County will be referred to local resources for ongoing services.
Hours of Operation
- Monday through Friday with services available by appointment only.
- 24-hour emergency service is available for patients of record.
All major insurance programs, a sliding fee scale and Medicaid are accepted. When necessary, fee arrangements can be made.
For further information, contact our staff at 614-685-3197 or NisongerDental@osumc.edu