Aspirations Ohio is a part of the Nisonger Center’s Social Programs (Autism College Experience, Friendship Connection, Next Chapter Book Club). Established in 2002 by The Ohio State University’s Nisonger Center and the Department of Neurology, Aspirations is a group-based social skills and support program that supports adolescents and adults (13-30 years) with high functioning autism and their family.
Led by program manager Erin Powers and parent facilitator Tracey Manz, group leaders facilitate discussions and activities focused on building social and vocational skills as well as self-confidence and a sense of belonging for teens and young adults with autism. Aspirations also offers resources and support to parents and caregivers navigating their son or daughter’s transition from adolescence into adulthood.
Aspirations consists of:
- Introductory social skills and support curriculum– a 12-week group for teens and young adults and their caregivers offered 3 times a year; topics include:
- Making and keeping friends
- Conversation skills and reading body language
- Independence and responsibility
- Electronic communication
- Vocational goals and skills
- Caregiver resources
- Monthly Group Reunions– social opportunities within the community on the second Tuesday of each month.
- Men’s Aspirations– social opportunities for men with autism within the community on the third Sunday of each month.
- Women of Aspirations (WoA)– social opportunities for women with autism within the community on the second Sunday of each month.
- Quarterly Social and Leisure Activities (Spring Fling, Summer Picnic, Holiday Parties, and More!)
- Sub-groups (EmployAbility, ASAP, Relate to Me)- dive deeper into those more challenging social areas.
Aspirations Covid Precautions:
We will be reducing the sizes of our upcoming groups in order to maintain adequate social distancing. Masks are required for attendance. We will be taking the proper sanitizing precautions before and after each meeting. Please email Erin Powers for additional details.
|Group Name||Start Date||# of Weeks|
|Aspirations||May 25, 2021||12 weeks|
|Relate to Me||TBA||8 Weeks|
|ASAP: Autism Self Advocacy Program||May 27, 2021||8 weeks|
CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION
Phone: (614) 366-3276
Program Manager: Erin Powers, MSW, LISW-S (email@example.com)
Lead Parent Facilitator: Tracey Manz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Develop self-awareness and insight.
- Learn how to experience and foster positive social interactions and relationships.
- Gain insight into the importance of rewarding employment.
- Build lasting friendships
The new Aspirations fee schedule, as of July 1, 2019:
Program Fee Intro 10-Week Curriculum new participants: $775
Repeat Intro program fee (Optional): $375
Program Fee Relate to Me: $575
Program Fee EmployAbility: $575
Program Fee Aspirations Self-Advocacy Program: $575
Monthly Reunions cost of event: Events limited to $20
Aspirations currently is unable to accept any forms of insurance, Medicaid or waiver fees. Contact your County Board of Developmental Disabilities to discuss coverage and/or reimbursement with your SSA. Often times a pre-authorization must be completed prior to the start of group. Some Health Savings Account and/or Flex Spending Accounts may be utilized to cover fees. Scholarships are available on an as needed basis.
Contact program manager, Erin Powers for more information at email@example.com.